PROJECT ID: P124905
This request for expression of interest follows the update of the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in UN Development Business Issue of 27th April, 2012 and in Nigerian newspapers of 27th September, 2012.
As part of Government’s commitment to the transformation of the Nigerian socio-economic landscape, a multi-sector project is being executed in Nigeria to mitigate the vulnerability to erosion and support the people as they relate to their land. The Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is an 8-year multi-sectoral and multi-scale program that targets states with acute gully erosion. The project is involving many Federal and State Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), Local Governments, communities and civil Societies who are responsible for Planning, economy, finance, works, agriculture, water resources, forests, transport, power, emergency response as well as those focused on climate and hydrological information or watershed/basin regulation. In order to achieve this, the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received a credit of US$500 million from the International Development Association (IDA) for the implementation of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project.
Kogi Stat who is participating in the implementation of the project intends to use part of the proceeds of the credit for the Preparation of GIS mapping of gully erosion and flood sites in KOGI States.
Kogi State Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP), the implementing agency in the State has the responsibility of providing a “Damage Control” to slow the expansion of targeted set of aggressive gullies across the State, thereby reducing the loss to property and infrastructure and helping cultivate community ownership; influencing the gully intervention to support integrated watershed management and move towards greater adoption of sustainable land and water management practices by local people m the sub-watershed where the gullies are located. Therefore, the purpose of this consultancy services is the Mapping of Gully Erosion/flood Sites and the generation of Land Resource Inventory data within a geographic information system (GIS) framework. This will aid in knowing the status of gully erosion sites and land resources in the state and effective management and monitoring of all erosion sites in the state. The mapping will also underpin project presentation and reporting on key status of erosion sites especially the sites for the NEWMAP GRASS component.
SCOPE OF WORK
The scope of works includes the following:
1. Identification of the sites affected by flood and erosion in the State through proper ground trothing and/or field visits which involves appraisals, observations and ground measurement (sample/specimen collection)
2. Generation of geological maps for erosion and watershed management
3. Generate Land Resource Inventory (LRI) data such as soil/land suitability’ maps, for erosion and watershed/ catchment management
4. Mapping of land use land cover including the acquisition of necessary spatially referenced data of both primary source (such as attributes of selected sites, comprising of soil types, vegetation types and geo-ecological characteristics of the area in the state.
5. Hydrological analysis for erosion and watershed management in the state
6. Acquisition of spatial data of secondary origin, such as topographic sheets and satellite images with 0.5 spatial resolution and other records for the whole state.
7. Development of spatial database that can be updated from time to time and subsequently, build a GIS for erosion and flood information management from the acquired primary and secondary data arising m (1) to (3) above.
8. Conduct series of spatial analyses and modeling lo produce map documents that can guide key policy and management decision making
9. Derivation of geo-database on the priority erosion and flood sites in the State
10. Identification and delineation of major and minor watersheds in the State
11. Identification of other potential areas prone to gully erosion and flooding in the State and the classification or the degree of vulnerability/risk potentials
12. Assessment of the socio-economic impact of gully erosion and flood hazards on the people
13. Present in easy to read maps
i. Spatial extent of erosion in the selected area
ii. Spatial extent of flood affected area
iii. Spatial analysis of socio-economic impacts
iv. Predictive models of erosion and flood risk hazard based on anthropogenic, climatic and environmental factors
v. Land Resource Inventory Map
vi. GIS Catchment Management Plan
vii. Soil Maps
viii. Land use Land cover maps
ix. Soil maps
x. Soil Suitability Map
xi. Geology maps
xii. Map of a high resolution satellite image 0.5 covering the state
14. Proffer best management practices that could mitigate the current problems and prevent future erosion and flood hazards in the state
The consulting firm will be hired for a period of ten (10) weeks to provide services as contained in the ToR.
The consultant will be responsible for carrying out the detailed studies as contained in the ToR, which include the following:
1. Spatial and Bibliographic Data Review
2. Data acquisition and processing:
i) Secondary data acquisition (Digital imagery, Topographic sheets, cadaster map)
ii) Field Verification of acquired imager/
iii) Acquisition of coordinates of prominent features and landmarks
iv) Collection of randomly selected spot height
v) Primary data acquisition
vi) Data Capture
vii) Data Analysis
viii) Identification of floods plains and flood risk zones
ix) Delineation of erosion maps, Catchment management maps
x) Buffers and Overlays
Details of these assignments are contained in the ToR, which is available for collection from the project office given below from 9am to 4pm Monday through Fridays.
The contract agreement to be signed shall be a Lump Sum Contract.
SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOIs)
The Kogi Sate-Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (KGS-NEWMAP) now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing me Services by sub – Technical and Financial Proposals separately for the assignment Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services:
The technical evaluation criteria are (i) evidence showing the fields of specialty of the firm (consultant’s profile/brochures) (ii) evidence showing that the firm is a legal entity (certificate of registration), (iii) evidence of registration with relevant authorities and professional bodies (iv) Evidence showing the technical and managerial capacities of the firm in the field of assignment (v) experience of working m a similar geographical region, (vi) Description of similar assignments, (vi) availability of appropriate skills among staff, and availability of essential technology etc ). For each previous project performed, the consultant shall provide the name and contact address of the client (office & e-mail address, and telephone number), date(s) of execution, name (s) of lead and associate firms, contract amount and financing sources.
The attention of interested Consultants (firm) is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants (under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers [January 2011] (“Consultant Guidelines”) Please visit www.worldbank.org, setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment on information on conflict of interest is per paragraph 1.9 of Consultant
Consultants-NGCs may associate with other firms n the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) not later than 2.00 pm, 6th January, 2017.
Kogi State- Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (KGNEWMAP)
Attention: Barr. Ladi Ahmed Jatto
Plot 247, Tunde Ogbeha Street, GRA, Lokoja
Kogi State, Nigeria